viernes, 8 de marzo de 2013

Hugo Awards: My Short Fiction Ballot

(Disclaimer: English is my second language, so I want to apologize in advance for there may be mistakes in the text below. If you find any, please let me know so that I can correct it. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.)

Last year I read much less short fiction than I'd have liked, and now I'm deeply regretting it, for I'm noticing that I missed a lot of high quality stories. There were so many excellent stories published in 2012 that now, with only two days until the Hugo nomination deadline, I still don't know which ones I won't be voting for. 

What I'm 99% sure of is that my ballot will be a subset of the following stories (I provide links to online, free versions when available), all of them superb. I'm still catching up with my reading, though, so there might be some minor modifications.

Novella


 

Novelette


  • "The Girl-Thing Who Went Out For Sushi", Pat Cadigan (Engineering Infinity)
  • Mountain, Liu Cixin
  • Taking Care of God, Liu Cixin
  • The Wandering Earth, Liu Cixin
  • "The Waves", Ken Liu (Asimov's 12/12)
  • "Limited Edition", Tim Maughan (Arc 1.3)
  • "Courtship in the Country of Machine-Gods", Bejanun Sriduangkaew (The Future Fire 2012.24)

 

Short Story

 


 (You can also read this post in Spanish/También puedes leer esta entrada en español)

2 comentarios:

  1. Ooh, a reading list - thank you :) I never read much short fiction in the past, but over the past month I've become addicted to its wonders, largely thanks to Clarkesworld and the recent Nebula nominations.

    I loved "The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species" by Ken Liu.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I totally agree: Clarkesworld is just excellent and this year's Nebula shortlists are very strong in the short fiction categories.

    I love everything by Ken Liu, but I think that his work was a bit stronger in 2011 (he published a lot of excellent stories in 2012, though). My favorite short fiction authors in 2012 were, hands down, Aliette de Bodard and Liu Cixin. Highly, highly recommended.

    ResponderEliminar